Tweed's hockey star realising her dream in Rio
GROWING up in Kingscliff, Gabrielle Nance took up hockey at the age of eight after her sister began playing after seeing a sign on the way into town advertising the hockey club.
Not wanting to be outdone by her sister, young Gabi also signed up.
Fast forward to 2016 and Nance is about to realise her Olympic dream just two short years after making her Australian senior international debut against New Zealand in late 2014, before going on to play at the Champions Trophy and the 2015 World League Finals in Rosario.
The keen surfer and accounting student has more than 30 international caps and two goals to her name and is seen as a torch bearer for the future of hockey in Australia.
Nance will join 11 other debutantes in a Rio side Hockey Australia hopes will secure a gold medal.
Gabi Nance facts:
- Date of birth: 29/07/1994
- Caps: 36
- Goals: 2
- Debut: 15/11/2014
- Hometown: Kingscliff, NSW
- Position: Forward
- Twitter: @gabinance
- Instagram: @gabinance
Hockeyroos viewing schedule (all times are in AEST):
- Sunday, August 7: Hockeyroos vs Great Britain at 9.30am
- Monday, August 8: Hockeyroos vs USA at 11pm
- Thursday, August 11: Hockeyroos vs India at midnight
- Friday, August 12: Hockeyroos vs Argentina at 7am
- Sunday, August 14: Hockeyroos vs Japan at 8.30am
Finals begin Saturday, August 20 at 6am.
Keep up to date with all the viewing action at 7Rio2016