Manchester City's Nicolas Otamendi (right) celebrates scoring in the 2-1 win over Manchester United.
Manchester City's Nicolas Otamendi (right) celebrates scoring in the 2-1 win over Manchester United. Nigel Roddis

Mourinho concedes title chance 'probably' over after loss

JOSE Mourinho admitted Manchester United's English Premier League title hopes were "probably” over after a 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford to leaders Manchester City.

The United boss said referee Michael Oliver had missed a penalty on Ander Herrera with the score at 2-1 and City were a "lucky” team after taking their lead over United to 11 points with 22 games remaining.

"My first reaction is I feel sorry for Michael Oliver because he had a very good match but unfortunately he made an important mistake,” Mourinho told the BBC.

"The result was made with a big penalty not given. That would have been 2-2.

"Michael was unlucky because it was a clear penalty.”

Mourinho was also asked if the title race was over and replied: "Probably, yes. Manchester City are a very good team and they are protected by the luck, and the gods of football are behind them.”

City deservedly went ahead through David Silva but some slack defending in first-half stoppage time allowed Marcus Rashford to equalise.

Nicolas Otamendi made up for his error to score City's second nine minutes into the second half after Romelu Lukaku's attempted clearance rebounded off the back of Chris Smalling into the Argentine's path.

Herrera went down in the box under a challenge from Otamendi with 10 minutes left and was booked for diving, with replays suggesting there had been contact.

Pep Guardiola's team stretched their lead at the top of the table to 11 points and became the first team to win 14 successive English top-flight games in a single season.

The loss also ended United's 40-game unbeaten home run, with City the last team to win at Old Trafford in September last year.

There was also a penalty controversy in the Merseyside derby which ended in a 1-1 draw at Anfield despite Liverpool's dominance over Everton.

Everton captain Wayne Rooney equalised from the spot after referee Craig Pawson ruled Dejan Lovren's push on Dominic Calvert-Lewin was worthy of a penalty.

Liverpool had taken the lead through Mohamed Salah late in the first half but rued a number of missed opportunities in a game which the visitors had only one shot on target in open play.

The Reds remain fourth, a place ahead of Arsenal, who wasted the chance to climb to fourth with a draw at Southampton.

The Gunners salvaged a 1-1 draw at St Mary's with a late Olivier Giroud equaliser but looked off the pace following Charlie Austin's third-minute strike for the home team.

Austin had chances to extend the lead but was foiled by Arsenal keeper Petr Cech then hit the post with another effort.