Man stabbed to death 'defending his girlfriend'


The devastated father of a young man stabbed to death outside a suburban Melbourne train station has paid tribute to his hard working son with a "heart of gold".

Four suspects are on the run after Cam Smith, 26, was fatally attacked near Seaford train station in Melbourne's southeast.

Police found the Langwarrin man suffering life-threatening injuries on Station Street just before 7pm on Wednesday.

Paramedics tried to save him but he died at the scene.


Cam Smith was stabbed to death in Seaford on Wednesday night. Source:Supplied
Cam Smith was stabbed to death in Seaford on Wednesday night. Source:Supplied

His dad, Mike, fought back tears as he told 3AW's Neil Mitchell his son was getting something to eat with his girlfriend when a group of three men and a woman started abusing her.

"He went to defend her and a bottle was broken and in that fight he was stabbed in the heart," he said.

"He had everything to live for, he was a go-getter, hard worker, he had a heart of gold, he would help anyone, anytime, he was just a fantastic kid."

Mike said his son was a carpenter who was a gifted runner that competed in the Australian Cross Country Championships.

Police at the scene where a man was stabbed to death outside Seaford Railway Station. Picture: Jay Town
Police at the scene where a man was stabbed to death outside Seaford Railway Station. Picture: Jay Town

"He wanted to work for himself, he wanted to become a registered builder, he wanted a family," his dad said.

"(That) was snuffed out in a matter of minutes."

Homicide squad detectives spent the night canvassing the scene trying to piece together what happened.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton said homicide squad detectives were looking for three men and a woman over the incident.

He told 3AW radio it appeared there was an altercation that led to the man being stabbed.

"We will identify these offenders, there's no doubt about that," he said.

"They'd be better off coming forward and handing themselves in because it won't take us long to scoop them up."

The horrific attack happened in front of shocked witnesses on Station Street.

Witnesses reported seeing a glass bottle smashed and then used to stab the man.


Forensics investigate the man’s death. Picture: Jay Town
Forensics investigate the man’s death. Picture: Jay Town


Posting about the event on social media, they said the man was then kicked in the head twice before the offenders ran away.

Another witness, Jacqui, posted on Facebook that she saw paramedics performing CPR on the victim.

"I seen the ambos doing compressions for a good 10 minutes, poor guy," she said.

Another woman, Jody, said there was a huge police presence at the station and nearby Seaford beach.

"Paramedics were working on a guy … there's a big police and ambulance presence both at the station end and the beach," she posted on Facebook.

Witness Annette said it was "very sad" and "terrible" what happened.

"We were just walking past attempting to go down to the beach, which was impossible with all the police," she posted.

"It was a scene best to avoid, and then while attempting to walk back home another nightmare scene witnessing ambos and police doing CPR then proceeding to put a white sheet over apparently a young male."

One witness, Dylan, 16, told the Leader he saw the man fall to the ground after he was stabbed.

"There was blood everywhere, it was really bad," he said.

Another witness told the newspaper the man "was choking up blood and asking for help, it was really terrible".

No arrests have been made yet.

The tragic attack came just hours after local state Labor MP Sonya Kilkenny met with police to discuss recent anti-social behaviour at Seaford Beach, particularly under the Seaford Pier.

She said police had noticed an increase in anti-social behaviour this year around Seaford and Frankston beaches, and specialist units would be undertaking regular patrols of local beaches as part of Operation Summer Safe.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or with information has been urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Originally published as 'He was choking up blood, calling for help'