Find out what's in the diary for Tweed this week
TWEED volunteers are calling on the NSW Government to take action for a cancer-free future.
As part of Cancer Council's pre-election campaign, Saving Life 2019, Tweed volunteers are calling on the NSW Government to take action to reduce the impact of cancer in the community.
Kingscliff community advocate Nerida Dean, pictured above with Tweed MP Geoff Provest at national Daffodil Day on Friday, said more was needed to be done to achieve a cancer-free world.
"We have achieved so much to reduce cancer rates but there is much more we need to do,” she said. Saving Life 2019 addresses three key areas where the State Government can make a big impact.
These include protecting the community from tobacco, tackling childhood obesity, and supporting people with lymphoedema.
To join the Saving Life 2019 campaign, visit canact.com.au.
Check out what is also on this week's diary:
- THE Salvation Army is inviting the community to play board games for the mind every second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 9.30am. The first games day will be today and costs $3. The Salvation Army centre is on the corner of Woodlands Dr and Leisure Dr, Banora Point.
- NEW to Tweed Area? Retired or semi-retired? Join in at Banora Point Probus. The group meets on the fourth Monday of each month at South Tweed Sports Club at 10am. It is a mixed club, and has interesting speakers, as well as an outing each month. The speaker for August 27 is Graham Stephenson, travel writer and photographer. Call Annette or Ron on 07 5523 4016.
- BE INSPIRED by the Photo Arts Club Tweed exhibition of its talented members' photographs until September 4 at Sustainable Surf, 87 Griffith St, Coolangatta. Opening hours 7am-2pm Monday-Saturday.
- U3A Tweed Coast's First Friday Forum on September 7 will provide insights into the fascinating world of perfumes and how French fashion played an important part in their creation. Everyone is welcome and we appreciate a $2 donation for afternoon tea. Join us at 2pm at The Uniting Church Hall, 24A Kingscliff St, Kingscliff. Inquiries to Di on 02 6674 4046 at www.tweed coast.u3anet.org.au.
- KINGSCLIFF Mixed Probus Club meets on the first Wednesday of the month at 10am at the Kingscliff Beach Bowls Club and outings on the third Wednesday of the month. Visitors are welcome. Phone Joan on (02) 6674 4700.
- TWEED Valley Toastmasters meets on the first and third Wednesdays of the month at Cudgen Leagues Club, from 10am-noon, and most of us stay to have lunch together. Phone Alison 0405 461 008.
- KINGSCLIFF Lions Club meets on the second and fourth Thursdays each month at the Cudgen Leagues Club at 7pm. Come along and see what we are about. Contact Denise on 0411 598 583 or check us out on www. kingscliff.qld.lions.org.au.
- THE Tweed Valley Murwillumbah Sub Branch of the National Servicemen's Association meets the third Tuesday of the month at Cudgen Leagues Club, Wommin Bay Rd, Kingscliff, at 10am. Any ex-service personnel are welcome to attend. Interesting guest speakers and organised day coach tours. Phone Kevin 02 6672 8786.
- MURWILLUMBAH Evening View Club's next dinner meeting will be on Monday, September 3, at Murwillumbah Services Club. The meeting starts at 6.30pm for dinner at 7pm. Cost $25. Members please remember, if you are unable to attend the meeting or will be bringing a guest, please contact Gloria Martin on 02 6672 3794 by 10am on Thursday before the meeting.
- TWEED Palliative Support op shops require strong, active volunteers to assist in the pick-up of items, including furniture. Phone Edna on 0417 060 085. 9am-3pm.
- POTTSVILLE Beach Community Hall will be holding its annual general meeting at 1pm on Tuesday, October 9 at the Pottsville Beach Community Hall. For information, phone Janet Tkachenko, secretary, Pottsville Beach Community Hall on 02 6676 2171.
- POTTSVILLE and District Men's Shed is open to members and new members. The group meets every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9am-12.30pm at the Black Rocks sports field. Contact Michael 0448 545 503 or Leighton 0467 032 881.
- THE Annual Fashion Parade will take place at St Cuthbert's Anglican Church, corner Powell and Florence Sts, Tweed Heads, on Saturday, September 8, at 1pm. Fashions by Maddie & Lil Kingscliff. Come and enjoy a fun show with delicious afternoon tea, lucky door and raffles. $10 entry. Information Yvonne 0419 357 634.
- TWIN Towns and District Garden Club's next meeting will be on Monday, September 10 at South Tweed Sports Club, Minjungbal Drive, South Tweed in the downstairs auditorium. The guest speaker will be Ryan Fowler, a photographer, speaking about the beauty of nature, sharing techniques to capture nature around us. Also, Gordon Smith will discuss preparing exhibits for the Flower and Garden Show. The hall opens at 8.30am for entry and benching. Cuttings and trading tables will commence selling at 8.45amFor more information, phone Monika Ross on 0412 638 373.
- TWEED Bridge Club has lessons, supervised play and mentoring. Phone Dinah Morgan on 02 6676 3136.
- ENJOY Croquet/Golf at Seagulls Tuesday and Saturday 9am. An outdoor fun game. Only $2 a game. Phone 07 5523 0065.
YOUR EVENT: Please send in your diary entries and photos of your group when possible to email@example.com