Revealed: Faces of mosque attack victims
THE mother of a teenage boy killed in the New Zealand mosque massacre was on the phone with him when he was shot dead, she said.
Hamza Mustafa, 16, had been praying at the Masjid Al Noor mosque on Friday with his father and younger brother, and called his mother moments after the gunman opened fire, reports the New York Post.
"He said: 'Mum, there's someone come into the mosque and he's shooting us' and he was running with his brother who had been shot in the leg," the grief-stricken mother, Salwa Mustafa, recalled to Stuff. NZ.
"After that, I heard shooting and he screamed and after that I didn't hear him," she continued. "I called, 'Hamza, Hamza,' and I can hear his little voice and after that it was quiet."
She kept trying to reach her son for the next 22 minutes.
"His phone was on, but I couldn't talk to him, after that someone picked up the phone and told me your son can't breathe, I think he's dead."
Mustafa's other son, 13-year-old Zaid managed to flee the carnage, but her husband, Khaled, 44, was one of the 50 people killed.
"Our lives have completely changed," Mustafa said from Christchurch Hospital where Zaid is recovering from two gunshot wounds.
She described Hamza, her late son, who attended Cashmere High School, as "the most wonderful boy" who was "very caring and polite."
When asked about white supremacist gunman Brenton Tarrant, she said: "God will punish him."
"My son and my husband are in heaven now and we're going after them, we're going to follow them to the heavens."
SPORTS STAR CONFIRMED AMONG THE DEAD
Atta Elayyan, 33, was the goalkeeper for the national and Canterbury men's futsal teams, has been named one of the victims of the massacre.
The Palestinian was born in Kuwait and was well known in the tech industry, working as a director and shareholder of a company called LWA solutions.
He had also recently become a father.
FOUR-YEAR-OLD FIGHTING FOR HER LIFE
A Jordanian man has said his four-year-old niece is fighting for her life after being wounded in the New Zealand mosque shootings.
Sabri Daraghmeh said by phone from Jordan on Saturday that the girl, Elin, remains "in the danger phase" and that her father, Waseem - Sabri's brother - is in stable condition.
Daraghmeh says the 33-year-old Waseem moved to New Zealand five years ago and that he described it as the "safest place one could ever live in."
The Daraghmehs are of Palestinian origin, but have Jordanian citizenship, like several others listed as Jordanian nationals among those killed and wounded in the mosque attacks.
GRIEVING FATHER SPEAKS THROUGH TEARS
A grieving father has spoken through tears of his "brave little boy," a 14-year-old who died at the Al Noor Mosque.
Sayyad Milne, a Year 10 student at Cashmere High School, was at the mosque he attended with his mother and friends every Friday.
His father John Milne said through tears: "I've lost my little boy, he's just turned 14".
"I haven't heard officially yet that he's actually passed but I know he has because he was seen. [I'm] keeping it together and tears are helping. people are helping. Just by being here, it is helping."
He said Sayyad was a keen football player.
"I remember him as my baby who I nearly lost when he was born. Such a struggle he's had throughout all his life. He's been unfairly treated but he's risen above that and he's very brave. It's so hard … to see him just gunned down by someone who didn't care about anyone or anything. I know where he is. I know he's at peace."
As terrible as it is for the family, it could have been even worse. Sayyad's brother was on an excursion while his twin sister was at school.
Another father has posted a heartfelt video from his hospital bed, urging friends to pray for his daughter.
Khaja Mohiuddin went to the Linwood Avenue mosque last Friday, much the same way he had done every week for 10 years since he moved to Christchurch from his native home in Hyderabad in India.
"I just went there to pray like I have always done," he told News Corp.
"We were in there and praying then we heard this sound like someone was banging the cars, some usual vandal thing, like breaking car windows or something, and we thought 'OK that's easy we just get the car windows fixed'. That is what we all thought then one of our group went to see … we never believed it could be gun shots but then … we saw. My friend who I always go with, we got separated. I hid. He is dead. We were always together before, every day and now we are not. We prayed together now we can't."
The 30-year-old, who declined to reveal his friend's name out of respect for his family, spent much of Saturday at the hospital looking for other friends. He found one who remained in critical condition with a bullet lodged in his collarbone and the other just shot in the side and in satisfactory condition.
"We all talk about this thing, none of us can believe it could happen … I escaped with nothing, not injured my friends are dead and injured. I don't know what to think anymore."
Hundreds of locals went looking for loved ones on lists at Christchurch's central hospital or standing vigil outside the mosques, sealed by police tape several hundreds metres back.
Police were only removing the bodies from the mosques for formal identification late Saturday.
Mucaad Ibrahim, just three years old, was lost in the melee when the firing started at the Al Noor mosque as his older brother Abdi fled for his life and his father pretended to be dead after being shot.
The New Zealand Herald reported that the family searched in vain for the toddler at Christchurch hospital and later posted a photograph of Mucaad, smiling with Abdi with the caption: "Verily we belong to God and to Him we shall return. Will miss you dearly brother".
Abdi described his little brother as "energetic, playful and liked to smile and laugh a lot," confessing he felt nothing but "hatred" for his killer.
He wasn't the only child.
Wasseim Alsati, originally from Jordan, posted a video from his hospital bed.
The barber was hit four times during the shooting, and his five-year-old daughter was hit three times. She is reportedly in a stable condition.
Mr Alsati thanked his friends and family for their support and apologises for being unable to respond to the calls and text messages he has received since the attack.
"Please pray for me and for my daughter, hopefully she will be so much better," he said.
The family of Hussain Al-Umari, 35, are also still waiting for word.
"We love you Hussain. If he dies it's a holy Friday and he'll be safe with God."
Bangladesh's honorary consul in Auckland, Shafiqur Rahman Bhuiyan, said three Bangladeshis were among those killed and four or five others were wounded, including two left in critical condition.
"One leg of an injured needed to be amputated while another suffered bullet injuries in his chest," Rahman Bhuiyan said. He declined to identify the dead or wounded. One is believed to be Dr MD Abdus Samad, an agricultural economics professor who migrated to New Zealand a decade ago with his wife and two sons. His family was unhurt.
Bangladeshi woman Husna Ara was with her paraplegic husband at prayers and were segregated as is standard for the sexes in a mosque but she rushed out 15 minutes into the shooting to save her husband Farid. She was killed trying to reach him, other worshippers wheeled him to safety.
Two Jordanians were among those killed, while eight others were wounded. Two Indonesians, a father and son, were also among those shot and wounded at Linwood. The unidentified man's wife Alta Marie took to social media to allay fears from loved ones to announce they were alive but injured.
"My husband was shot in multiple places and has a drain in his lung," she wrote on Facebook. She said she was with her son, who is "traumatised" after being shot in his back and leg.
Malaysian Rahimi Ahmad was at Friday prayers with his 11-year-old son when the shooting started.
His wife Norazila Wahid, 39, told the family that doctors had removed bullets from Rahimi's abdomen and that he is in "critical condition," the Malay Mail reports.
It's not clear what happened to their son.
Afghan father of five and retired engineer Haji Daud Nabi, 71, and Pakistani Naeem Rashid have also been confirmed killed.
Mr Nabi's sons Omar and Yama shared photos of their father yesterday as a tribute as they stood outside court where the man who allegedly killed their father was appearing before a judge.
A Facebook appeal was issued for Lilik Abdul Hamid but it has since been confirmed he also died.
Teacher Mr Rashid was being hailed a hero after attempting to wrestle the gun to save a friend during the melee. His 21-year-old son Talha is also believed to have died.
Omar Nabi said his father died trying to save others.
"I think he ran into that firing order to save somebody," he said. "He would do things like this. Just helping people is his main thing. It makes me feel like he wanted other people to live."
He said he could not believe something like this could happen in New Zealand.
Others still missing include Vora Ramiz, 28, Kamel Darwish and former Muslim Association of Canterbury secretary Abdelfattah Qasem.
Those missing have been listed are countries including Jordan, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia.
At least four people from Somalia were killed.
The organisation Syrian Solidarity New Zealand said at least one Syrian refugee was killed.
Bangladesh's honorary consul in Auckland said at least three Bangladeshis had been killed and at least four were injured.
See the list on the NZ Red Cross website.